Blog


REVISITING THE ABALONE

 

 

I studied with master artist David C. Gallup for many years and always love reminiscing on some of those lessons and experiences.  

I first heard the "Lesson of the Abalone" way back in 2012.  Over the years while on trips to various far-off places, I've had my eye out for beautiful shells -- especially the abalones. In this painting, you will see an abalone my husband bought for me in Mikonos, Greece, a nautilus shell from a trip through Florida, and another abalone I picked up in a local swap meet. I love the colors of the shells and the feelings they evoke...

"Don't let the waves of others drown out your own ocean song. 
 Hold your heart as though it was a seashell.
And listen to it. Listen to its music. To the whispers of your ocean within. And then swim."
-S. C. Lourie

Since the new year began I've been struggling with some larger pieces.... I've been painting on them each day and although each day they get a bit better, they still seem to resist my efforts to be completely happy with them...  
I have finally decided to take a breather... I'm not giving up, but instead, I thought it might be fun and refreshing to do a smaller painting which is completely different. 
It WAS fun!.. 
Abalones are always a challenge, but certainly being able to bring a painting to a level of satisfaction is good for my soul. I hope you enjoy the painting, too.

I thought it might be interesting for you if I revisited the original "Lesson of the Abalone" blog post from 2012.   You can read it by clicking on this link:

 THE LESSON OF THE ABALONE  

and another related post....

ABALONE AND RADISHES -- INSPIRATION AND CHALLENGE

 
Once I finally decided how to set up the various shells... (which one in front?, where to set the light source?, how do they overlap?, should I add other elements like other shells or onions or?????)   I set out to determine the notan -- the value pattern.   Here is the notan then a 3 value variation.
Early last year I decided to force myself to paint over old "not so great" paintings rather than purchase new panels all of the time.  It hasn't been my finest resolution.  Most often I don't need the extra distraction when I'm painting out in the field, so I forgo my resolution and start with a clean panel.  However, this time at home and also with a fall painting I titled "Jack!" ,   I did paint over an older painting. 
In this case, the older painting helped me with parts of the block in and painting.  Surprise!
I took photos of the painting on the easel at various stages of paint application.   
The "not so great" plein air I painted over

 

First steps..... lightest lights then darks

 

Almost there... photo at night ...studio light changes the look doesn't it?

                                                                  Now I realize I need to make the dark areas of the shells darker...

 

..... Now the old last question......              Is it finished???   
Who knows... I've uploaded it and will stare at it a while before I finally decide...   But I think so.    I posted it at the top.... 
 
Tell me.... What do YOU think about the lesson of the abalone???  I would love to hear from you.

 

Read Full Post


Topics

Archives