Blog


Too Bad It's Time to Go - Day Three .. Thank you, Brian Blood




Another absolutely beautiful day in paradise!


Today was our day to process all we have learned about and try to apply it. No masterpieces were painted but I had a terrific day.



Pictures from left to right: Facing north - Facing South - The Seven Gables Bed and Breakfast.

We met back in Pacific Grove, but to the north of Lover's Point near the Seven Gables. Once again, Brian reminded us about looking at the successive planes going back. Each plane being lighter, bluer and with less detail. He said that part of the way things seem to go back in the distance is when the planes are overlapping. Brian reminded us to always compare the values. He mentioned that the color of the sky is reflected in the sea.

In the morning most of us chose to face north so that the rims of the trees and rock formations reaching out into the sea were backlit. The lighting was the story in the painting. Later in the day we faced south and interesting shapes were more of what the painting would be about. Although I was fairly happy with my paintings, I thought Sharon's were fabulous. Many people walked by the busy beachfront where we were all painting, stopping to ask questions and make comments.

About 3:30 we called it a day, packed up and went back to Brian's house to talk, have some cheese and crackers and a glass of wine. Brian and his wife, Laurie Kersey, were gracious hosts. They showed us each of their studios. They were very different- reflecting their separate personalities as people and painters. After some nice chat time, we went back to Brian's studio where he reviewed some points and he discussed various aspects of our paintings, comparing good points with some of his paintings and answering our questions.

DID I GET WHAT I EXPECTED? YES!!!!

  • I explored and hiked through a beautiful part of my world.
    I had a good time and met some interesting people.
    I learned.
    I DID work on narrowing my focus. I drew out thumbnails and compared the values to choose the best composition.
    I reviewed Brian's teaching and practiced aerial and linear perspective.
    I didn't do so well on simplifying.... I'll have to continue working on that...
    I tried to use Brian's ideas about color, but found that the brands of paint that I was using didn't seem to have the same chroma that Brian's did. I will further explore the information he gave us and try some different brands.

ALL IN ALL IT WAS A WONDERFUL WORKSHOP!! I am sooooooooo glad I went!


 

Read Full Post


Day Two.... Oh So Blue















Another gorgeous day in paradise!! Today we all met out at Point Lobos. One of the best things about painting en plein air is being able to get out and really look at the beauty that surrounds us. Too often we scurry past things or don't even stop to get out of our cars. This area has stunning views from every vantage points.

After a short hike up and around the cliffs we went toward China Cove. Apparently however, recent storms had swept the stairs away and the winds had blown landward and piled up the cove with brownish orange kelp which covering the brilliant emerald green sea. No worries, however.. there was more beauty around the next cliff.

We all stopped to watch Brian paint a demo overlooking Gibson's beach looking across several peninsulas that make up the Carmel Highlands. Brian discussed atmospheric perspective and reminded us to always compare the values of the planes. As the planes go back they have less intensity and are lighter and cooler. There is also less detail as you move back in the picture plane. He reminded us to look at areas such as trees as masses. Block in the masses and avoid making clumps. Try to leave areas of the board showing through the paint. Continue painting and move all around the picture plane. Don't try to complete one area but move all over always comparing the various areas.

One thing Brian said held true for me today. He told us all that everyone has a certain amount of "bad paintings" in them... some more than others. Although I enjoyed the beautiful day and the company of my fellow artists... some of those bad paintings that were in me came out today. I just didn't seem to do anything he advised us to do. He was kind however, and patiently gave advice to me and the rest of us.

At the end of the day I was happy, tired and burnt to a crisp.

Read Full Post


A Good Start






Today was the first day of our three-day workshop with Brian Blood up here on the Monterey Peninsula in California. Sharon Weaver and I drove up from LA yesterday.

We met at Brian's home in the morning. He has a beautiful studio which he apparently converted from their garage. Everything is available and organized as both Brian and his wife, Laurie Kersey, are artists. (See the first photo.) Brian shared many of his studies and finished work as he talked about how he designs and develops paintings. He also talked about what he hopes to accomplish in a plein air study. Brian often uses these studies along with reference photos and the published work of other artists with similar elements to help plan the next new painting.

After a brief lunch, the nine workshop artists regrouped at Lover's Point in Pacific Grove. (Photo #2) This is one of many gorgeous viewpoints in the Monterey area with cypress, sea and rocks. I took lots of reference photos as we gathered. Brian set up and began doing a demonstration. He had toned his canvas with with a light wash of burnt umber and a warm color. Using a dry brush he sketched out the elements of the composition. (Photo #3) He emphasized that as an artist our job is to choose the elements we want to include in a painting. Moving things, eliminating, resizing and changing them in a way that we think will be appealing. Brian then blocked in the rocks and trees using a dark greyed out lavender. Then he put in the far hills using a very pale greyish purple. He greened the lower hills and added some warms but kept the same values. Brian talked about atmospheric perspective... Colors fade as they go back - they become cooler and greyer. There is also less detail as things go back farther. Consequently things up close have more detail and are warmer and crisper.

Brian discussed how he often leaves parts of the canvas free of paint to peek out and add color and interest to a painting. Then he added in the color of the sea and the waves. (See photo #4)

All of us spread out to try to create our own little study. Brian came through and gave us advice as we worked. (See my palette and beginning of my painting - photo #5.) It was a great day.

Read Full Post


What do I expect?

THIS LOVELY SCENE WAS PAINTED BY BRIAN BLOOD

I've been painting away on some work for some upcoming shows while at the same time, trying to get paints, clothes, equipment and my mind ready for my upcoming trip to Carmel and Monterey where my friend, Sharon, and I are taking a plein air workshop with Brian Blood.

After reading both Karen Shipps' blog (A Visual Journey) and, on her recommendation, one by Kathryn Law about their different, but remarkably similar workshop experiences with Camille Przewodek's workshop, I began to think about WHY I take workshops and WHAT I EXPECT TO GET OUT OF THEM.I took a wonderful workshop with Camille, about five or six years ago. Based on what I read, I expect that the content of the workshop would be much the same if I were to take it today, but since I think I've changed and my skills are a bit better now if I took it again, I'd have a much different experience. So I began my musings about the whys and whats of workshops.

WHY
I take them to get away to a different spot and learn a bit about my world.
I take them to have a good time with people who enjoy the same thing I do.
I take them to learn something ... a technique, an outlook, a view on painting.

WHAT I EXPECT TO GET OUT OF THIS ONE:
I'd like to learn to narrow my focus and choose an interesting composition.
I'd like to learn to improve my value studies.
I'd like to continue practicing pushing things back through aerial and linear perspective.
I'd like to continue to learn how to simplify a plein air painting while keeping it looking real.
I'd be interested to learn Brian's ideas about color.
and much more.

I used to think maybe I'd paint something worthwhile that I could bring home from a workshop, but that dream was soon dashed as reality set in. I keep taking workshops. I learn a little from each one and I enjoy every one.

Read Full Post


Topics

Archives